Name: Marion Giddy
Director and Speech Pathologist
Where did you study:
Bachelor of Speech Pathology at the University of Queensland
NLP Practitioner & NLP Master Practitioner Course – The Coaching Room
Integral Leadership – The Coaching Room
Oxford University (online) Women’s Leadership Development Programme
Why did you get into paediatric speech pathology?
I had a passion to work in healthcare, and working with kids seemed like the most fun way to do this!
Why do you love your job?
It is an incredible privilege to walk alongside families through their different journeys and provide support. I feel very lucky to be able to work alongside a team of passionate women, who all inspire me each day with their dedication to their work, and the joy they bring to the process.
Favourite toys to use in therapy?
To be honest – connecting with the kids and making them laugh and feel comfortable is usually my goal! Sometimes you don’t even need a toy!
What extra training have you completed?
- Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- DIR Floortime Online Training
- Derbyshire Language Scheme.
- Professional developments in a wide range of areas including Language Sampling, Narrative Assessment and Intervention, Central Auditory Processing Disorder, Working Memory Disorders,Correlations between Behaviour and Communication and the Children’s Health and Education Research Institute Conference 2015 which focused on interventions for language, learning and literacy.
In addition to this, I am an Academic Title Holder with the University of QLD, and an active member of the Speech Pathology Australia, currently volunteering as the Branch Chair of the QLD Branch.
What extra trainings have you delivered?
- I have presented at Kindergartens, Schools and Universities in a range of areas. In fact it’s one of my favourite things to do! Some of these presentations include:
- Development of Speech and Language Skills in the Kindy Years
- Preparing for Prep
- Scaffolding Children in the Classroom (Inservice for School Officers)
- Reading Comprehension (Inservice for Teachers)
- Ethics in the Digital Age (University Guest Lecture)
- Ethical Situations in Private Practice